Magnetic Knee Brace Can Reduce Knee Osteoarthritis
Obesity is a national epidemic in America off late. It is one of the factors that can cause Osteoarthritis. According to the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, alternative therapies can manage osteoarthritis. This article tries to understand how the the Magnetic Knee Brace can be effective against Knee Osteoarthritis.
What is Osteoarthritis: It involves swelling, pain and reduced motion of the joints like hands, hips, hands and spine. It takes place because of the breaking down of the cartilages in the joints. Cartilages are lubricant tissues covering the ends of the joints. They ease the movement between the bones at the joints. When these cartilages disappear, the bones rub roughly with each other. Ultimately the joints are damaged, resulting in this problem.
There are very few research studies substantiating the benefits of magnetic products in healing pain. In one such rare studies, chronic knee pain in mild-to-moderate knee osteoarthritis patients was studied. The study was carried out for a period of 12 weeks. Every patient had to wear the magnet brace at the knees during this period. Another group involved in the study wore normal knee wraps. They were not allowed to perform any heavy exercises during these period. The muscle strengths of the thighs of these patients were measured. The patients also completed a questionnaire related to the pain and any improvement they had during the study.
Knowledge gained from research about the Magnetic Knee Brace:
- It was known that the end that there was reduction in the pain and improvement in the strength of the muscles of the patients wearing the magnetic knee brace.
- No such positive improvements were seen the other group.
- The researchers supposed that the healing effect of the magnets is because of the alterations made by the magnetic field on the pain signals.
- The magnetic field expanded the tissues of the thigh muscles.
- This led to increased blood flow along these tissues, enhancing the muscles performance.