Can Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Treat Aphasia
Magnetic therapy research is trying to explore the field of complementary therapy and alternative medicine to address some challenging diseases affecting the children off late. One such techniques is the Transcranial magnetic stimulation used to treat Aphasia. This article tries to gain further insight.
Basics required to appreciate the technique:
- The brain is the organ which orders all the other organs of the body to function.
- It passes orders in the form of electrical signals.
- There are millions of cells in the brain called neurons which capture and transmit these signals from one corner to other corner.
- When disturbances take place in the passing of these signals from one neuron to other, disorders like Aphasia take place.
- Patients suffering from this disorder of the brain cannot speak, write and comprehend properly.
- According to an estimate 80,000 people get affected by this disorder every year either by head injury or by stroke.
What is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation:
- This technique is based on the law of electromagnetic induction in Physics.
- According to this law, whenever the direction of magnetic field chances, electrical current can be produced.
- Using this principle, electrical signals are artificially generated in the neurons of the aphasia patients.
- These generated signals on continuous basis carry out functions of the body in these patients.
- Researchers at the Boston University School of Medicine and VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, Massachusetts carried out the study of transcranial magnetic stimulation technique on Aphasia patients with positive results.
- The recent findings about aphasia treatment definitely raises hopes in the hearts of the millions.